The Government funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school head teachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
The sport funding can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Schools have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but had the freedom to choose how they did this. Possible uses for the funding included:
- hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE;
- new or additional Change4Life sport clubs; paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport;
- providing cover to release teachers for professional development in PE/sport;
- running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games;
- buying quality assured CPD modules or materials for PE/sport;
- providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and holiday clubs;
- resources, including planning and assessment materials, to enhance the quality of PE teaching.
The Governors agreed that the money must be used so that:
- all children benefit regardless of sporting ability;
- that the most able children are given the opportunity to compete in advanced tournaments;
- staff have access to training opportunities and continued professional development.
Swimming and Water Safety
The recommendations from the Swim Group review have been adhered to and details are found within the latest Sports Premium Report document found below.